Sunday, August 26, 2012

Game : The Liver Trial



EDIT: Timelapse is up!

So I have some good news and some bad news.  And, dear reader, screw you; I'm picking the order.

Good news:
Ludum Dare 24 rolled along and I made a game ( The Liver Trial ) in C++ and SDL.  It's my first ever C++ game and I ended up building an entire development package for it that can be used for future projects (which I'll clean up and GitHub in the future).

The puzzle element is pretty nice; every time you die, you adapt to the cause of your death.  Killing yourself on spikes gives you iron boots that let you walk on said spikes, as well as break fragile bridges and depress heavy buttons, with the tradeoff of agility.  It's easily expandable and very simple at its core.

All of the graphics scanned well and integrating it with the game was not as bad as I thought it'd be.

And, to top it off, I made a game for a Rapid Development Competition / 4 hour game jam that won 1st place.  I'm not going to post it because it's honestly awful, but snails circled around in a distorted spiral and you had to dodge and shoot them through your super-fish-eye lens.

I finished the LD game with just a few minutes to spare, having crunched in some intro text, graphical fixes, and an ending that simply puts you back to the beginning.

Bad news:
I didn't include one of the DLLs.  The game is unplayable.

...Yeah.

Ludum Dare Link
Source Code
Timelapse

No comments:

Post a Comment